Torabolic® is a fenugreek extract with clinical backing for enhancing workout strength and body composition.
- Clinical research. Torabolic is the only fenugreek product with clinical backing for improving workout performance.
- Proprietary formula. The unique composition of fenugreek in Torabolic is undergoing patent review.
Torabolic is a branded fenugreek extract (Trigonella foenum-graecum) invented and manufactured by Indian nutraceuticals company Indus Biotech. It is designed to promote anabolic muscle activity during workouts while simultaneously lowering body fat.
Primarily harvested in India and the Near East, fenugreek is a pea-like plant whose seeds and leaves have long been believed to harness a wide variety of therapeutic properties. Extensive research in recent years has revealed that, indeed, the plant has several potential health benefits, including regulating insulin, lowering blood sugar and cholesterol, and even improving exercise performance. These effects appear to stem from its high content of bioactive ingredients such as trigimannose and saponins.
Torabolic came into the spotlight as one of the premier fenugreek brands in 2008 when a team of investigators from Texas provided it to men completing a resistance training program. It was the first successful and published randomized controlled trial using the product to assess physical performance.
How Torabolic Works
The mechanism behind Torabolic’s ability to support muscle strength and improve body composition are known, though numerous studies are in the works.
Concerning its potential to boost testosterone, Torabolic has demonstrated a capacity to inhibit aromatase and 5-alpha reductase, which decreases the conversion of testosterone into other hormones and ultimately increases testosterone levels in the body.
There are currently no official patents covering the production of Torabolic. However, Indus Biotech has submitted a patent concerning its unique formula.
Torabolic Nutritional Supplement Uses
Fenugreek is most commonly used for testosterone due to its high content of bioactive ingredients associated with increasing free and total testosterone levels. As such, Torabolic may be viable for testosterone supplementation.
More on fenugreek for testosterone.
Above all, Torabolic is intended to buttress exercise performance. Studies have shown it has the potential to increase both upper- and lower-body muscle strength all the while cutting body fat. This duality allows Torabolic users to benefit from an overall improved body composition, favoring lean muscle.
The supplement may best serve athletes and fitness enthusiasts when taken as a part of a pre-workout formula, especially during bouts of resistance training.
Growth Hormone Supplements
Torabolic, like other fenugreek extracts, has also shown promise for increasing growth hormone levels in early animal studies. It may be too early to use Torabolic as a growth hormone supplement however, due to a lack of clinical trials warranting this particular use.
More on fenugreek for growth hormone.
In comparison with other fenugreek products, Torabolic has the following advantages:
- Clinical research: Torabolic is the only fenugreek supplement with support from clinical trials for enhancing workout strength and body composition. Studies evaluating other supplements have focused on their potential to boost testosterone.
- Pending patent: Indus Biotech is awaiting to hear from a review committee for its proposed patent covering Torabolic formulation.
- Workout relevance: Most fenugreek supplements are geared toward boosting testosterone levels exclusively. In contrast, Torabolic is standardized to 70% trigimannose, which may be the key to its effectiveness for workout supplementation.
Clinical trials assessing Torabolic have demonstrated its potential to enhance strength in the upper- and lower body while also increasing testosterone levels and producing greater losses in body fat. However, it is important to note that Indus Biotech, the manufacturing company, sponsored all of the currently accessible studies. A selection of these investigations are presented below.
In this double-blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled study, 49 men took either 500 mg of Torabolic or a placebo while undergoing resistance training, 4 days a week for an 8-week period. There was a statistically significant decrease in body fat in the Torabolic group compared with the placebo group on body composition measurements (-2.3% vs 1.6%; p < 0.001). The supplement group also had greater gains in lower-body strength (84.6 kg vs 48 kg; p < 0.001) and upper-body strength(TOR: 9.1 kg vs 4.3 kg; p = 0.01) compared with the placebo group.
- The researchers concluded that “Torabolic supplementation had a significant impact on both upper- and lower body strength and body composition in comparison to placebo.”1
In this double-blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled study, 30 men took either 500 mg of Torabolic or a placebo every day while participating in resistance training for 8 weeks. The Torabolic group had statistically significant decreases in percent body fat (-1.77% vs -0.55%; p = 0.048) and increases in total testosterone (0.97 ng/ml vs -2.10 ng/ml; p = .018) and bioavailable testosterone (1.32 ng/ml vs -1.69 ng/ml; p = .049) compared with the placebo group.
- The researchers concluded that “supplementation significantly affected percent body fat, total testosterone, and bioavailable testosterone compared with a placebo.”2
- Successful clinical trials have used 500 mg of Torabolic per day.
- Typical Torabolic supplements come in a daily serving size of 500 – 1000 mg standardized to either 70% trigimannose or 60% fenuside saponins.
Supplements in Review Recommendation
- Torabolic®, 500 mg.
Torabolic may be the top fenugreek extract for workout performance. Torabolic is the only brand of its kind to have clinical trials backing its effectiveness for enhancing workout performance and body composition. The concern in this case is that the studies were sponsored by the manufacturing company itself, which holds blatant implications of bias.
Start 500 mg of standardized Torabolic. We recommend taking a 500-mg dose of Torabolic standardized to at least 70% trigimannose for improving exercise performance or 60% fenuside saponins for testosterone boosting.
- Wilborn C, et al. Effects of Torabolic supplementation on strength and body composition during an 8-week resistance training program. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2008;5(Suppl 1):P11. ↩
- Wilborn C, et al. Effects of a purported aromatase and 5α-reductase inhibitor on hormone profiles in college-age men. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2010 Dec;20(6):457-65. ↩