Human Researchze: 18pt;">White kidney bean extract Phase 2® is clinically proven to promote weight loss and balance blood sugar.
Phase 2 is a patented white kidney bean extract. It is used to reduce the absorption of starches, which can help people lose weight and control blood sugar. This Phase 2 review details its advantages over plain white kidney bean supplements:
- Patented. Phase 2’s preparation method and use for promoting weight loss and reducing starch absorption is protected by U.S. patents.
- Clinically Researched. Dozens of human studies report that Phase 2 reduces starch absorption and enhances weight loss when paired with dieting or exercise.
- FDA-approved. The claims that Phase 2 can reduce starch absorption and help control weight when paired with dieting/exercise are approved by the FDA.
Phase 2 Carb Controller is a patented, non-stimulant white kidney bean extract made by Pharmachem Laboratories. White kidney bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) extract is one of the most popular “carb blockers” – compounds that prevent carbohydrates from being digested and absorbed. In doing so, carb blockers can reduce the amount of calories you get from eating carbohydrates and help you lose weight.
In comparison to generic white kidney bean extracts, Phase 2 stands out for its extensive human research evidence. Clinical studies have shown that Phase 2 reduces the digestion of absorption of carbohydrates by as much as 66% and increases weight loss when paired with dieting or exercise.
In fact, a review of dozens of clinical studies on standalone and multi-ingredient weight loss products that include Phase 2 concluded that “Phase 2 has the potential to induce weight loss and reduce spikes in blood sugar caused by carbohydrates through its alpha-amylase inhibiting activity.” 1
Furthermore, it is the only white kidney bean extract allowed by the FDA to make the following claims:
- May assist in weight control when used in conjunction with a sensible diet and exercise program
- May reduce the enzymatic digestion of dietary starches
In addition to this, Phase 2 has been shown to help control blood sugar after carbohydrate consumption and reduce the Glycemic Index (GI) of starchy foods, which can be beneficial for people with diabetes.<
How does Phase 2 work?
White kidney beans contain compounds that inhibit the activity of alpha-amylase – an enzyme that breaks down starches (complex carbohydrates) found in foods such as white bread, potatoes, pasta, and rice. In doing so, it reduces the absorption of these starches and lowers the amount of calories you get from starchy foods.
Clinical studies suggest that Phase 2 can reduce carbohydrate absorption by as much as 66%. In turn, this effect can promote weight loss by reducing the calories you take in, and also reduce the impact of high-carb foods on your blood sugar.<
Phase 2 Patents
This patent covers the preparation method of Phase 2, which includes:
- Milling non-GMO whole white kidney beans
- Extracting the resulting mixture
- Filtering the water and concentrating the extract
- Filtering again, pasteurizing, and spray drying the extract
The patent also covers the use of Phase 2 for controlling carbohydrate cravings, promoting weight loss, reducing insulin requirements for diabetics, and reducing the absorption of dietary starch (U.S. Patent 6797287).<
Phase 2 Nutritional Supplement Uses
Phase 2 is used in powder, tablet, capsule, and chewable supplements. In addition to being sold as a single-ingredient weight loss & blood sugar supplement, Phase 2 is included in a wide range of multi-ingredient products and can also be incorporated into foods and beverages.<
Fat Loss Supplements
Phase 2 is most commonly used in fat loss supplements, and there are nearly 200 weight loss product brands that contain it. In particular, many people take Phase 2 products daily with all major meals to reduce the amount of calories they get. In addition, some people take it before consuming a single starchy, high-carb meal such as spaghetti or a pizza.
There is a large amount of clinical research evidence supporting Phase 2’s efficacy as a weight loss aid. However, it’s important to note that Phase 2 is not a magic weight loss pill, and works best when combined with a diet and/or exercise.
Read more: White Kidney Bean for Fat Loss<
Blood Sugar Supplements
In addition to the above, Phase 2 is also widely used to help diabetics control their blood sugar levels. Phase 2 achieves this by reducing the body’s response to starchy foods.
Phase 2 Advantages
Phase 2 has several key advantages over generic white kidney bean extracts:
- Clinical research: Phase 2’s weight loss and blood sugar benefits are backed by dozens of human studies, many of which are randomized, controlled trials (RCTs) – the gold standard of human research.
- FDA-approved claims: Phase 2 supplements are authorized by the FDA to claim that they may help weight control in combination with diet and exercise, and may reduce the digestion of starches. Authorized health claims are only allowed for high-quality, extensively-reviewed ingredients.
- Safety: Phase 2 is Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) by the FDA, made from non-GMO beans, and has been demonstrated to be safe in numerous human studies.
Phase 2 Research3>Human Research
Human studies provide evidence for Phase 2’s reduction of carbohydrate absorption, and report improved weight loss when combined with dieting and/or exercise.
This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study explored the weight loss benefits of Phase 2. Twenty-five overweight people were given Phase 2 (1000 mg) or placebo twice a day (breakfast and lunch) for 2 weeks alongside a diet, exercise, and behavioral regimen. The Phase 2 group lost significantly more weight than placebo (6 lb vs 4.7 lb). Further analysis also showed that people who ate the most carbohydrates lost more weight with Phase 2 than their high-carb counterparts in the placebo group (8.7 lb vs 1.7 lb).
- The researchers concluded that “…subjects who ate the most carbohydrates experienced a significant reduction in both weight and waist size with the addition of the white bean extract…” 2
This randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled study examined the effects of Phase 2 on body composition in overweight people. Sixty overweight participants took placebo or a Phase 2 (445 mg white kidney bean extract) tablet before a carbohydrate-rich meal daily for 30 days alongside a 2000-2200 carb-rich calorie diet. The treatment group experienced greater reductions in body weight, BMI, and fat mass than placebo.
- The researchers concluded that “...Phaseolus vulgaris extract produces significant decrements in body weight and suggest decrements in fat mass in the face of maintained lean body mass.” 3
This two-part randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study looked at the weight loss benefits of Phase 2 (IQP-PV-101). In the part one weight loss experiment, overweight or obese adults were given Phase 2 (2x 500 mg) or placebo three times daily before meals for 12 weeks while following a diet. In the part two weight maintenance experiment, those people who lost at least 3% of their body weight were all given Phase 2 for another 24 weeks while eating as much as they wanted.
Part one of the study found that the Phase 2 group lost an average 2.91 kg versus 0.92 for placebo. Meanwhile in part 2, 36 out of 49 people were able to maintain the same weight.
- The researchers concluded that “…IQP-PV-101 is safe and effective for weight loss and maintenance.” 4
This study looked at whether Phase 2 could be used to lower the Glycemic Index (GI) of high GI foods. Low GI foods are considered beneficial for people with diabetes, and low GI diets may lower the risk of developing diabetes and cardiovascular conditions.
Thirteen people were given white bread (a high GI food) with or without Phase 2 powder or capsules in dosages of 1500, 2000, and 3000 mg. Only the 3000 mg powdered Phase 2 dosage was found to significantly reduce (34%) the GI of white bread.
- The researchers concluded that “Phase 2 white bean extract appears to be a novel and potentially effective method for reducing the GI of existing foods without modifying their ingredient profile.” 5
This two-part randomized, double-blind, crossover study measured how Phase 2 affects the absorption of starch. Eleven fasting people ate 4 slices of white bread with 42 g of margarine with or without 1.5 g white kidney bean extract. The extract resulted in a 66% reduction of carbohydrate absorption. In addition, a second study seven people ate a whole meal with or without 0.75 g bean extract, resulting in a 28-41% absorption reduction.
- The researchers concluded that “The bean extract…may prove beneficial in weight reduction in individuals consuming large amounts of starch. It also may inhibit starch-induced hyperglycemia in normal and diabetic subjects.” 6
In this randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, 27 obese people followed a high-fiber/low-fat diet while taking Phase 2 (1500 mg) or placebo twice daily with meals for 8 weeks. The Phase 2 group lost an average of 3.79 lb and compared to only 1.65 lb for placebo. In addition, triglyceride levels fell in the Phase 2 group by 26.3 mg/dL compared to only 8.2 mg for placebo. However, these results were not deemed significant enough to rule out random chance, and the researchers stressed the need for further studies.
- The researchers concluded that “Phase 2 shows potential promise as an adjunct therapy in the treatment of obesity and hypertriglyceridemia…” 7
Phase 2 Dosage
Supplements in Review Recommendation
Phase 2 is the only FDA-supported, clinically-effective kidney bean extract. Phase 2 is the only kidney bean extract proven to enhance weight loss, reduce starch absorption, and help control blood sugar in dozens of human studies. The research evidence for Phase 2’s effectiveness is so strong that even the FDA approves its health claims.
Research suggests 500-1000 mg doses before meals. Clinical studies typically use 500-1000 mg doses of Phase 2 before a starchy, carb-heavy meal, which translates to a daily dosage of 1500-3000 mg if you eat 3 major meals a day.
- Marilyn L Barrett and Jay K Udani. A proprietary alpha-amylase inhibitor from white bean (Phaseolus vulgaris): A review of clinical studies on weight loss and glycemic control. Nutr J. 2011; 10: 24. ↩
- Udani J and Singh BB. Blocking carbohydrate absorption and weight loss: a clinical trial using a proprietary fractionated white bean extract. Altern Ther Health Med. 2007 Jul-Aug;13(4):32-7. ↩
- Celleno L et al. A Dietary supplement containing standardized Phaseolus vulgaris extract influences body composition of overweight men and women. Int J Med Sci. 2007 Jan 24;4(1):45-52. ↩
- Grube B et al. Weight reduction and maintenance with IQP-PV-101: a 12-week randomized controlled study with a 24-week open label period. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2014 Mar;22(3):645-51. ↩
- Udani JK et al. Lowering the glycemic index of white bread using a white bean extract. Nutr J. 2009 Oct 28;8:52. doi: 10.1186/1475-2891-8-52. ↩
- Joe A. Vinson et al. Investigation of an Amylase Inhibitor on Human Glucose Absorption after Starch Consumption. The Open Nutraceuticals Journal, 2009, 2: 88-91 ↩
- Udani J et al. Blocking carbohydrate absorption and weight loss: a clinical trial using Phase 2 brand proprietary fractionated white bean extract. Altern Med Rev. 2004 Mar;9(1):63-9. ↩
- Thom E. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of a new weight-reducing agent of natural origin. J Int Med Res. 2000 Sep-Oct;28(5):229-33. ↩