Hidrox® is a unique olive extract patented and researched to have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and other benefits.
Hidrox is an olive polyphenol extract. Much like olives and olive oil, it can provide a wide range of health benefits for immunity, cardiovascular health, inflammation, and more. This review details its advantages over generic olive supplements:
- Patented. The only olive extract patented to improve inflammatory skin disorders, neurodegeneration, and more.
- Standardized. Hidrox is guaranteed to contain 6-12% bioactive polyphenols, with at least 2.5-3.5% hydroxytyrosol, a powerful antioxidant.
- Researched. The benefits of Hidrox are backed by several human and animal studies.
Hidrox is an olive extract produced by Californian pharmaceutical company Creagri Inc. Made from the juice of freshly-pressed olives, it is rich in antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds known as polyphenols. Hidrox contains particularly high levels of hydroxytyrosol, one of the most potent antioxidants in existence.
These polyphenols are absorbed into the blood and help neutralize damage-causing reactive oxygen species (ROS), a natural by-product of the body’s normal function.
Scientists believe that polyphenols are largely responsible for the health benefits of olives, olive oil, and olive leaves, which include:
- Antioxidant activity
- Improved heart & overall cardiovascular health
- Reduced inflammation
- Improved joint health
- Improved immune function
Hidrox provides a convenient way to get a daily dose of olive polyphenols in the form of capsule or liquid supplements. Unlike basic olive supplements, it is proven safe, clinically shown to reduce inflammation and provide other benefits, standardized, and uses hydroxytyrosol – a highly absorbable, powerful antioxidant – as its main active ingredient.
Hidrox is prepared through an innovative Integrate Process that makes use of previously discarded byproducts of olive oil production. This method involves adding natural acids to polyphenol-rich “vegetation water” that is left over from olive oil production and incubating it for a period of at least two months, until most of the oleuropein is converted into Hidrox’s main active ingredient – hydroxytyrosol. Next, the water is processed to separate as much hydroxytyrosol as possible, and freeze-dried to product a powder (US patent 20100216874).
Inflammatory skin conditions
Hidrox is patented for the treatment of inflammatory and often immune-mediated conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, allergic dermatitis, and photohypersensitivity dermatosis (US patent 9789149).
Diabetes type 2 neuropathy
Early Parkinson’s disease
The newest patent for Hidrox covers its use for preventing, postponing, or delaying early-stage Parkinson’s, where it can be used by itself or as a way to reduce the dosage of standard pharmaceutical drugs (US patent 20160374959).
Hidrox Nutritional Supplement Uses
Hidrox is used in one of three forms:
- Powder standardized to 6% total polyphenol (minimum 2.5% hydroxytyrosol)
- Powder or liquid with 12% total polyphenols (minimum 3.5% hydroxytyrosol)
- Liquid 10x concentrate (30 g hydroxytyrosol/kg)
In this way, it can be added to not just dietary supplements but also foods, drinks, and topical preparations such as creams. Its most popular use, however, is in Creagri’s own Olivenol/Oliva Forte line of dietary supplements, which can be used as:
Joint Health Supplements
Hidrox is used in joint supplements because of evidence that it can reduce inflammation and fight the two major forms of arthritis – osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. It is typically combined with other joint-supportive ingredients such as glucosamine.
Oxidative stress and inflammation play a central role in neurodegenrative disorders such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s. Because of Hidrox’s powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects, it has the potential to fight neurodegeneration.
Similar to olive leaf extract, Hidrox also has the potential to be used for boosting the immune system and protecting against bacteria and fungi.
One of the most popular uses for Hidrox and to fight inflammatory skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema, and help maintain youthful-looking skin.
Olive polyphenols appear to be one of the major reasons why people consuming the Mediterranean diet have significantly reduced cardiovascular disease risk.
In comparison to basic olive fruit and leaf extracts, Hidrox has the advantages of:
- Clinical research: Several published and unpublished human studies have shown that this olive extract promotes cardiovascular health, alleviates arthritis, reduces inflammatory skin conditions, and supports the body’s antioxidant defenses.
- Standardization: Hidrox is standardized to contain 6-12% total polyphenols, at least 2.5-3.5% of which is hydroxytyrosol, its main active ingredient.
- Safety: Hidrox is certified GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) by the FDA, and has been shown to be safe in doses as high as 2000 mg per kg of body weight.
- Sustainability: Hidrox promotes sustainability by using the byproducts of olive oil production which would otherwise go to waste.
Hidrox has been examined in multiple animal studies. Specific findings demonstrate that:
- Both isolated hydroxytyrosol and Hidrox were found to be safe in rats at daily doses as high as 2000 mg per kg of body weight 1
- Appyling Hidrox topically may alleviate rheumatoid arthritis in rats 2
- Hidrox protected fish from neurodegeneration, suggesting a “supportive position for commercially available formulations of olive polyphenol in the management ofneurodegenerative-related conditions” 3
- Hidrox has potent anti-inflammatory activity, and can be particularly useful for alleviating arthritis in combination with joint health compound glucosamine 4
There have only been a few clinical trials of Hidrox to date, showing improvements in inflammation, arthritis, and glutathione levels. However, olive polyphenols and isolated hydroxytyrosol have been extensively examined in humans, showing benefits for cardiovascular, bone, brain, and immune health, as well as reduction of inflammation.
This double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study examined the effects of Hidrox on arthritis. A total of 105 people with osteoarthritis (OA) or rheumatoid arthritis (RA) were given placebo or a Hidrox-containing olive supplement (400 mg) daily for 8 weeks. The treatment group showed improvements in pain and activities of daily living. In addition, participants with RA also had a decrease in C-reactive protein, a marker of RA inflammation, and homocysteine – an amino acid whose elevated levels are associated with cardiovascular risk.
- The researchers concluded that “…8-week treatment with olive extract improved daily living activities in patients with OA and significantly reduced plasma CRP and homocysteine levels in patients with RA.” 5
This study examined the antioxidant benefits of Olivenol, a Hidrox-based olive supplement. A total of 98 participants were given 2 ml of Olivenol and had their blood examined. Although the supplement didn’t increase antioxidant capacity, it significantly raised levels of glutathione – one of the main antioxidant compounds made by the human body.
- The researchers concluded that “Among the numerous groups of individuals who may benefit from increased glutathione levels, the elderly might be paid special attention…” 6
- Hidrox is not currently sold as a standalone supplement
- Multi-ingredient formulas typically come in 200 mg capsules containing 6-12% Hidrox
- There isn’t enough human study data to recommend a dose, but researchers propose 1200 mg daily 7
Supplements in Review Recommendation
- Hidrox® as part of an olive polyphenol supplement.
Hidrox is the highest quality olive supplement ingredient on the market. Hidrox has been shown to have a wide range of health benefits, many of which are associated with olive consumption. Furthermore, it has multiple advantages over generic olive supplements, such as standardization, patents, and clinical research backing.
It’s not clear what dose is best. Due to the small number of human studies and the usage of different Hidrox preparations, it’s difficult to suggest a dosage. As such, it’s best to follow individual supplement recommendations.
- Soni MG et al. Safety assessment of aqueous olive pulp extract as an antioxidant or antimicrobial agent in foods. Food Chem Toxicol. 2006 Jul;44(7):903-15. ↩
- Ng SF et al. Transdermal anti-inflammatory activity of bilayer film containing olive compound hydroxytyrosol: physical assessment, in vivo dermal safety and efficacy study in Freund’s adjuvant-induced arthritic rat model. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2017 Jan;43(1):108-119. ↩
- Roberto Crea et al. Validation of neuroprotective action of a commerciallyavailable formulation of olive polyphenols in a zebra-fishmodel vis-a-vis pure hydroxytyrosol. International Research Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology Vol. 1 (2), pp.22–26. ↩
- Bitler CM et al. Hydrolyzed olive vegetation water in mice has anti-inflammatory activity. J Nutr. 2005 Jun;135(6):1475-9. ↩
- Bitler CM et al. Olive extract supplement decreases pain and improves daily activities in adults with osteoarthritis and decreases plasma homocysteine in those with rheumatoid arthritis. Nutrition ResearchVolume 27, Issue 8, August 2007, Pages 470-477. ↩
- Visioli F et al. Olive phenolics increase glutathione levels in healthy volunteers. J Agric Food Chem. 2009 Mar 11;57(5):1793-6. ↩
- Christian MS et al. The toxicity profile of hydrolyzed aqueous olive pulp extract. Drug Chem Toxicol. 2004 Nov;27(4):309-30. ↩