LJ100® is the only standardized, clinically-backed Tongkat Ali extract patented to improve male performance and testosterone levels.
LJ100 is a branded extract of the Asian traditional herb Tongkat Ali, commonly used to boost male sexual health, physical performance, and vigor. LJ100 has several advantages over basic Tongkat Ali supplements:
- Patented. LJ100 is a patented extract devised through a research partnership between MIT and the Government of Malaysia.
- Clinically Researched. LJ100’s numerous benefits are backed by over a dozen human studies.
- Standardized. Guaranteed to contain 40% glycosaponins, 22% eurypeptides, and 1% eurycomanone from Tongkat Ali to ensure efficacy.
LJ100 is a patented, proprietary extract of Eurycoma longifolia, a medicinal tree native to Southeast Asia. Also known as Tongkat Ali and Longjack, the roots of this herb are traditionally used to boost energy and libido, and remedy a wide range of ailments.
LJ100 is made through a patented process developed by a joint group of researchers from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), the Forest Research Institute of Malaysia (FRIM), and the University of Malaya. This process ensures that unlike basic Tongkat root extracts, LJ 100 is guaranteed to contain 22% eurypeptides, 40% glycosaponins, and 1% eurycomanone – the plant’s main bio-active ingredients.
LJ100 has been the subject of numerous clinical studies, which report improvements in testosterone levels, sexual function, energy, exercise performance, stress, and more.
LJ100 is protected by a patent issued to the Government of Malaysia and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), which supports the use of LJ100 for improving sexual dysfunction, male infertility, and testosterone levels (US patent 7132117).
This patent includes a proprietary preparation process during which Tongkat Ali root gathered from the Malaysian rainforest is pulverized, boiled to make an aqueous extract, filtrated, concentrated, and finally freeze dried. This results in a standardized powder extract containing 40% glycosaponins, 22% eurypeptides, and 1% eurycomanone.
LJ100 Nutritional Supplement Uses
As a standalone supplement, LJ100 is primarily used to enhance sexual health and libido, particularly in men suffering from low testosterone levels, infertility, and erectile dysfunction. In addition, it is also used as an ingredient in:
Testosterone booster supplements frequently include LJ100 because of its research-proven ability to increase testosterone levels and male sexual health. More specifically, LJ100’s patent suggests that it improves both testosterone production and release in the testes. In fact, LJ100 is considered such an effective testosterone booster that some researchers propose its use as a safe, natural alternative to testosterone replacement therapy in aging men. 1
LJ100 also has the potential to be used as an ingredient in ergogenic supplements, especially in the context of bodybuilding. As we already noted, it has been clinically proven to boost testosterone – an anabolic hormone that improves athletic performance and increases muscle mass in both men and women – as well as measures of physical performance such as grip strength.
Compared to basic Longjack extracts, LJ100 has several key advantages:
- Research evidence: LJ100 is the only Tongkat Ali extract proven by clinical studies to alleviate sexual dysfunction, boost testosterone, reduce stress, enhance physical performance, and provide other benefits.
- Standardization: The extract is standardized to provide an exact amount of bio-active compounds every time – 40% glycosaponins, 22% eurypeptides, and 1% eurycomanone.
- Safety: LJ100 is Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) by the FDA and has been demonstrated to be safe in over three dozen animal and human studies with daily doses as high 600 mg.
LJ100 has been the subject of numerous clinical studies that report benefits such as stress reduction and improved sexual function, physical performance, and immunity.
This randomized, placebo-controlled study, explored the effects of LJ100 on stress and mood. A total of 64 adults received placebo, 100 mg, or 200 mg of LJ100 daily for 4 weeks. The LJ100 groups showed improvements in measures of tension, anger, and confusion, and also had a 16% reduction in cortisol (stress hormone) and 37% improvement in testosterone.
- The researchers concluded that “…daily supplementation with tongkat ali root extract improves stress hormone profile and certain mood state parameters…” 2
The aphrodisiac effects of LJ100 were explored in this randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. A total of 109 men (aged 30-55) were given placebo or LJ100 (300 mg) daily for 3 months. The LJ100 group improved on questionnaires of physical functioning, erectile function, and libido, as well as measures of sperm motility and semen volume.
- The researchers concluded that “For the first time a placebo-controlled clinical trial with 109 randomized male subjects demonstrated for a freeze-dried water extract of the roots of Eurycoma longifolia (Physta), significant improvements in libido, sexual performance, satisfaction, and physicial functioning.” 3
In this placebo-controlled study, 30 cyclists were given placebo or LJ100 30 minutes before a 24-hour mountain biking event. The men were tested 8 times over the time period, revealing that those given LJ100 had 16.4% higher testosterone levels and 32.3% lower cortisol (stress hormone) levels.
- The researchers concluded that “LJ100 promotes an anabolic state by maintaining low normal levels of cortisol and high normal testosterone level during intense endurance exercise.” 4
This pilot study examined the physical performance benefits of LJ100 in the elderly. A total of 25 physically active men and women (aged 57-72) were given LJ100 (400 mg) daily for 5 weeks. Supplementation increased testosterone levels and muscular force (as measured by a handgrip test) in both men and women.
- The researchers concluded that “The study affirms the ergogenic benefit of TA through enhanced muscle strength.” 5
This study tested the effects of LJ100 in older men with late-onset hypogonadism (LOH), a condition characterized by low testosterone levels. A total of 76 men with LOH were given LJ100 (200 mg) daily for a month. The supplementation raised testosterone to healthy levels and improved scores on the Ageing Male Symptom Scale.
- The researchers concluded that “…Tongkat ali extract appears to be useful as a supplement in overcoming the symptoms of LOH and for the management of hypogonadism.” 6
This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study examined the effects of LJ100 plus an antioxidant on sexual performance. A total of 26 men (aged 40-65) with mild erectile dysfunction (ED) took placebo or LJ100 (200 mg) plus Polygonum minus (100 mg) tablets daily for 12 weeks. The LJ100 group improved in measures of sexual function such as the Sexual Intercourse Attempt diary, Erection Hardness Scale, Sexual Health Inventory of Men, Aging Male Symptom Scale, and overall libido. In addition, there were also trends for reduced body fat and increased testosterone in the LJ100 group.
- The researchers concluded that “Supplementation for twelve weeks with Polygonum minus and the proprietary Eurycoma longifolia extract, Physta, was well tolerated and more effective than placebo in enhancing sexual performance in healthy volunteers.” 7
This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study examined the effects of LJ100 on immune function. A total of 83 middle-aged Japanese participants were given rice powder (placebo) or 200 mg of LJ100 (under the brand name Physta) daily for 4 weeks. The LJ100 group improved on several measures of immune function, including Scoring of Immunological Vigor (SIV), immunological grade, and number of helper T cells.
- The researchers concluded that “…ingestion of the root water extract of TA (Physta®) enhances comprehensive immunity in both middle-aged men and women.” 8
- Single-ingredient LJ100 supplements contain 25-100 mg
- Clinical research studies typically use 100-400 mg doses, with 200 mg being the most common
- LJ100’s manufacturers recommend taking 50-100 mg for weight loss and 100-200 mg for sexual function, aging, and exercise performance
Supplements in Review Recommendation
- LJ100®, 100-200 mg.
Lj100 is the highest-quality, most reputable Tongkat Ali extract available. Guaranteed to provide a high amount of bio-active compounds and supported by numerous clinical studies, LJ100 is the best Longjack extract on the market.
Dosing will depend on your needs. It’s best to follow individual supplement recommendations, but the general dosage is 100-200 mg daily.
- George A and Henkel R. Phytoandrogenic properties of Eurycoma longifolia as natural alternative to testosterone replacement therapy. Andrologia. 2014 Sep;46(7):708-21. ↩
- Talbott SM et al. Effect of Tongkat Ali on stress hormones and psychological mood state in moderately stressed subjects. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2013; 10: 28. ↩
- Ismail SB et al. Randomized Clinical Trial on the Use of PHYSTA Freeze-Dried Water Extract of Eurycoma longifolia for the Improvement of Quality of Life and Sexual Well-Being in Men. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;2012:429268. ↩
- Talbott SM et al. Effect of Eurycoma longifolia Extract on Anabolic Balance During Endurance Exercise. Journal of International Society of Sport Medicine 3 (1): S32 2006. ↩
- Henkel RR et al. Tongkat Ali as a potential herbal supplement for physically active male and female seniors–a pilot study. Phytother Res. 2014 Apr;28(4):544-50. ↩
- Tambi MI et al. Standardised water-soluble extract of Eurycoma longifolia, Tongkat ali, as testosterone booster for managing men with late-onset hypogonadism? Andrologia. 2012 May;44 Suppl 1:226-30. ↩
- Udani JK, et al. Effects of a Proprietary Freeze-Dried Water Extract of Eurycoma longifolia (Physta) and Polygonum minus on Sexual Performance and Well-Being in Men: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2014. ↩
- George A et al. Immunomodulation in Middle-Aged Humans Via the Ingestion of Physta® Standardized Root Water Extract of Eurycoma longifolia Jack–A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel Study. Phytother Res. 2016 Apr;30(4):627-35. ↩