BioCell Collagen® is a patented, high-quality joint and skin health ingredient proven to work in human studies.
BioCell Collagen (BCC) is a blend of collagen, chondroitin, and hyaluronic acid manufactured by BioCell Technology. These compounds are known for supporting healthy joints, skin, and connective tissue. This review details BCC’s advantages over plain collagen supplements:
- Patented formula. BCC combines 70% collagen, 20% chondroitin, and 10% hyaluronic acid in a convenient formula.
- Easy absorption. BioCell’s patented Bio-Optimization technology improves bioavailability & absorption.
- Clinical research. BCC’s joint and skin health benefits are backed by five clinical studies.
BioCell Collagen (BCC) is a patented combination of three compounds involved in joint & skin health – type 2 collagen, chondroitin sulfate, and hyaluronic acid. These compounds are naturally present in the human body:
- Collagen is a type of structural protein found in the skin, bones, ligaments, and other tissues
- Chondroitin sulfate is a structural component of cartilage
- Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a gel-like substance found in the skin, eyes, cartilage, joint fluid, and other tissues
Chondroitin supplements are primarily used to promote healthy joints, while collagen and HA combine joint support with benefits for the skin, hair, eyes, nails, and other tissues. Whereas these compounds are usually sold separately, BioCell Collagen combines 70% type 2 collagen, 20% chondroitin, and 20% HA into a patented formula, which means it is cheaper, more effective, and convenient.
Made from non-GMO chicken cartilage, BioCell Collagen also has the advantage of using hydrolyzed collagen – a form that is easier for the body to digest and use. In addition, it utilizes Bio-Optimization technology that ensures high bioavailability & absorption, and is backed by five clinical studies that support its efficacy for promoting joint health, youthful skin, and preventing connective tissue damage.
BioCell Collagen Patents
BioCell Collagen Use & Preparation
BioCell Collagen is protected by several patents that describe its use for improving the health of joints, skin, and other connective tissue in the form of powder, tablets, capsules, and liquids (US Patent 6780841). In addition, BCC is made through a patented preparation process where:
- Sternal cartilage from non-GMO chickens is suspended in solution
- Protein-breaking enzymes are added to form a mixture containing at least 20% chondroitin sulfate, 10% of hyaluronic acid, and hydrolyzed collagen type II
- The resulting hydrolysate solution is sterilized, filtered, and concentrated
- Finally, the solution is dried to form a collagen-rich powder
This patent also includes Bio-Optimization technology that reduces the molecular weight of collagen, HA, and chondroitin, making the blend small enough to be effectively digested and absorbed by the body (US Patent 6025327).
BioCell Collagen Nutritional Supplement Uses
Joint Health Supplements
BioCell Collagen (BCC) is most commonly used as a standalone joint health supplement or as one ingredient in a complex formula. Indeed, all three of its constituent ingredients – collagen, chondroitin, and hyaluronic acid – have been shown to improve joint function & pain in athletes, people with minor joint issues, and arthritis patients. More importantly, BCC’s patented combination of these three compounds has been found effective in people with osteoarthritis and athletes undergoing resistance training.
Although BCC is best known as a joint health ingredient, it is also used in products meant to improve the skin’s appearance & health. This is largely due to a study in women which showed that BCC can reduce facial signs of aging such as fine lines, wrinkles, dryness, and scaling.
BioCell Collagen Advantages
BioCell Collagen is superior to generic collagen, chondroitin, and HA supplements in several ways:
- Patented combination: Whereas basic supplements typically sell collagen, chondroitin, and HA separately, BCC combines the 3 compounds in a convenient, proprietary formula.
- Easy absorption: Patented Bio-Optimization technology reduces the molecular size of collagen, HA, and chondroitin, making them highly bioavailable and therefore easy to absorb.
- Clinical research: A total of five clinical studies have shown that BCC helps improve joint function and osteoarthritis, reduces tissue damage following resistance training, and improves the skin’s appearance by counteracting natural aging processes.
- Safety: BCC is a non-GMO ingredient demonstrated to be safe by human research, and is Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS).
BioCell Collagen Research
Human clinical trials of BCC report improvement of osteoarthritis & overall joint function, reduction of facial signs of aging, and improved recovery following resistance exercise.
This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial explored the effectiveness of BCC for osteoarthritis (OA). A total of 80 OA patients were given placebo or BCC (2 g) daily for 70 days. Compared to placebo, the BCC group experienced a reduction in pain and improvement of McMaster Universities Arthritis Index (WOMAC) score, and had reduced difficulty performing physical activities.
- The researchers concluded that “BCC was well tolerated and found to be effective in managing OA-associated symptoms over the study period…” 1
The effects of BCC on facial skin aging were explored in this pilot study. A total of 26 women aged 35-59 were given BCC (1 g) daily for 12 weeks. The supplementation resulted in reduced skin dryness/scaling (76%) and fine lines/wrinkles (13.2%), improvements that were accompanied by increased levels of hemoglobin (17.7%) and collagen (6.3%) in facial skin.
The findings of this study are especially promising because BCC contains type 2 collagen, whereas the collagen found in skin is primarily type 1 & 3, suggesting that it may be able to increase the levels of all 3 different collagen types.
- The researchers concluded that “…BCC elicits several physiological events which can be harnessed to counteract natural photoaging processes to reduce visible aging signs in the human face.” 2
This double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized pilot study examined the effects of BCC on exercise recovery. Eight physically active participants were given placebo or BCC (3 g) daily for 42 days before performing an upper body resistance workout on day 43 (8 sets of barbell bench press), which was repeated again on day 46.
Compared to placebo, the BCC group had greatly reduced markers of muscle tissue damage such as creatine kinase (CK), lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), and C-reactive protein (CRP), and also performed more repetitions before muscle failure after the initial set.
- The researchers concluded that “…daily intake of BCC for 6 weeks may favorably impact key biochemical markers of connective and skeletal muscle tissue damage and enhance stress resilience following intense resistance exercise.” 3
In addition to the above research, two unpublished studies report that:
- Out of 89 people with joint discomfort given BCC (2 g) daily for 45 days, 80 participants reported improved joint function.
- Compared to 8 participants given placebo, 8 people given BCC (2 g) for 8 weeks had improvement of joint discomfort.
Biocell Collagen Dosage
- Standalone BioCell Collagen supplements typically come in 0.5-1 g capsules
- Joint & skin health formulas also use 0.5-1 g doses of BCC
- Research studies have used BCC doses ranging from 1-3 g, with 2 g being the most common
Supplements in Review Recommendation
- BioCell Collagen®, 1-3 g.
BioCell Collagen is a patented, high-potency, clinically-proven joint & skin health ingredient. BioCell Collagen has multiple advantages over generic collagen, chondroitin, and HA supplements such as improved absorption, a multi-ingredient formula, and human study evidence to back its effects.
Research suggests 1-3 g doses. Clinical trials of BCC suggests that 1 gram was successful for improving skin health, 2 g for joint health, and 3 g for muscle & connective tissue recovery following resistance exercise.
- Schauss AG et al. Effect of the novel low molecular weight hydrolyzed chicken sternal cartilage extract, BioCell Collagen, on improving osteoarthritis-related symptoms: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Agric Food Chem. 2012 Apr 25;60(16):4096-101. ↩
- Schwartz SR and Park J. Ingestion of BioCell Collagen(®), a novel hydrolyzed chicken sternal cartilage extract; enhanced blood microcirculation and reduced facial aging signs. Clin Interv Aging. 2012;7:267-73. ↩
- Hector L Lopez et al. Effects of BioCell Collagen® on connective tissue protection and functional recovery from exercise in healthy adults: a pilot study. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2014; 11(Suppl 1): P48. ↩