EpiCor® is a unique fermented ingredient with clinically-backed immune system benefits.
- Patented. EpiCor is made through a unique, proprietary fermentation process that produces a mixture of active ingredients not found in any other supplement.
- Clinically Researched. EpiCor’s immune system benefits are supported by numerous high-quality human studies.
- Digestive Benefits. Unlike other immune ingredients, EpiCor also supports digestive health by nourishing the gut microbiome.
EpiCor is a patented, fermented yeast supplement used to strengthen the immune system. Also known as “whole food fermentate,” EpiCor is created through a patented fermentation method that utilizes baker’s yeast – the same microorganism used to make beer, bread, and other fermented food products.
This process causes the yeast to produce compounds that support immune system function, such as amino acids, vitamins, antioxidants, beta glucans, and polyphenols. The resulting mixture is then minimally processed and dried for use in supplements.
Made in the U.S. by Embria Health Sciences, EpiCor stands out from other immune system supplements in several ways:
- It contains multiple ingredients that are usually sold separately (most notably beta glucans)
- It is backed by high-quality research showing benefits for cold & flu infections, allergies, and overall immune function
- It has been shown to aid digestive health, much like a prebiotic
How does Epicor work?
Research suggests that EpiCor supports a healthy, strong immune system in four major ways:
- Increasing the levels of immunoglobulin A (IgA), an antibody that helps protect you from infection. IgA is particularly abundant in the mucous membranes of the eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Increasing the activity of natural killer cells. These specialized white blood cells destroy infected cells.
- Increasing the body’s antioxidant capacity, which plays a key role in healthy immune system function.
- Working as a prebiotic – a type of natural fiber that supports the growth of beneficial gut bacteria such as bifidobacteria and lactobacilli. These bacteria not only play an important role in immune system function, but also support digestive health.
The discovery of EpiCor
EpiCor Nutritional Supplement Uses
Immune system supplements
EpiCor can be used as a standalone immune system supplement, and also incorporated into multi-ingredient immunity formulas and functional foods. More specifically, EpiCor is used to improve overall immune system function, reduce inflammation, and to help with specific immunity-related issues such as cold & flu infections and allergies. These uses are backed by high-quality clinical research.
Digestive health supplements
EpiCor also has the potential to be used in digestive health supplements. Research studies have shown that it acts as a prebiotic, supporting the health and growth of beneficial gut bacteria, which in turn improve digestive health, immune function, and may provide other health benefits.
Check out the video below for more information on the importance of gut bacteria to our health.
EpiCor boasts several advantages over generic immune system supplement ingredients. Most notably, it is:
- Clinically effective: EpiCor’s immune system benefits are backed by 8 peer-reviewed clinical studies, most of which are randomized, controlled trials (RCTs) – the gold standard of human research. By comparison, most immune supplement ingredients have little research evidence.
- Good for digestion. Aside from strengthening the immune system, EpiCor also doubles as a prebiotic that helps promote a healthy gut microbiome. Beneficial gut bacteria not only improve digestive health, but may also support mental health and provide other benefits.
- Safe: EpiCor’s safety has been demonstrated in multiple studies, and it is produced only in the United States. 1
- Established: EpiCor is based on a safe, effective fermented product that has been used to improve the health of livestock animals since 1943.
Human studies of EpiCor demonstrate that it helps support immune system function, alleviates cold & flu symptoms and allergies, and may also help with digestive issues by supporting healthy gut bacteria.
The effects of EpiCor on cold and flu infections was investigated in this randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. A total of 116 people were given placebo or EpiCor (500 mg) daily for 12 weeks. The EpiCor group had fewer cold & flu symptoms, and these symptoms also lasted for a shorter amount of time.
- The researchers concluded that “EpiCor…appears to significantly reduce the incidence and duration of cold and flu-like symptoms when compared to placebo in subjects vaccinated for seasonal influenza.” 2
This follow-up randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study tested the efficacy of EpiCor for cold and flu symptoms in individuals who did not undergo flu vaccination. A total of 116 people with no recent history of flu vaccination were given placebo or EpiCor (500 mg) daily for 12 weeks. The EpiCor group reported fewer cold & flu symptoms, although their duration did not reduce by a significant amount.
- The researchers concluded that “This nutritional-based fermentate appeared to be safe and efficacious in a unique at-risk population and should receive more clinical research as a potential method to reduce the incidence of cold and flu-like symptoms, in individuals with and without a history of influenza vaccination.” 3
This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study examined the effects of EpiCor on people with constipation and gastrointestinal discomfort. A total of 80 people were given placebo or EpiCor (500 mg) daily for 6 weeks. EpiCor supplementation improved stool consistency, symptoms of bloating/distension, feeling of fullness, and constipation-related quality of life and stress. In addition, EpiCor led to an increase in several types of beneficial gut bacteria.
- The researchers concluded that “…EpiCor fermentate was able to modulate the composition of the gut microbiome, resulting in improvement of constipation-associated symptoms.” 4
This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial looked at the efficacy of EpiCor for nasal congestion and other symptoms of allergic rhinitis (AR). A total of 96 people with a history of seasonal allergies and AR were given placebo or EpiCor (500 mg) daily for 12 weeks. EpiCor improved the severity of AR symptoms, most notably reducing nasal congestion, and rhinorrhea. In addition, people taking EpiCor had higher salivary levels of immunoglobia A (IgA) – a marker of immune function.
- The researchers concluded that “This yeast-derived product appeared to be safe and efficacious, and should receive more clinical research with and without standard medications to reduce the impact of seasonal allergies, especially AR-induced nasal congestion.” 5
This placebo-controlled, randomized, crossover study investigated the effects of EpiCor on measures of immune health. Twelve healthy participants were given a single dose of placebo or EpiCor (500 mg) and had their immune function examined. The study found that EpiCor increased the body’s antioxidant capacity and also improved the activity of natural killer cells for up to 2 hours after consumption.
- The researchers concluded that “EP consumption may hold promise as a nutritional immune support in healthy subjects under acute stress, as well as for patients with specific chronic illnesses affecting innate and adaptive immune defense mechanisms.” 6
- Both standalone and multi-ingredient supplements usually provide 500 mg EpiCor capsule dosages
- Human studies of EpiCor also use the 500 mg dosage
Supplements in Review Recommendation
- EpiCor®, 500 mg.
EpiCor is a unique, research-backed immune system supplement. Unlike most immune system ingredients, EpiCor is not only backed by high-quality human studies, but can also help keep your gut bacteria healthy.
The recommended dosage is 500 mg. All successful human studies of EpiCor used daily 500 mg capsule dosages.
- Schauss AG et al. Safety evaluation of a proprietary food-grade, dried fermentate preparation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Int J Toxicol. 2012 Jan-Feb;31(1):34-45. ↩
- Moyad MA et al. Effects of a modified yeast supplement on cold/flu symptoms. Urol Nurs. 2008 Feb;28(1):50-5. ↩
- Moyad MA et al. Immunogenic yeast-based fermentate for cold/flu-like symptoms in nonvaccinated individuals. J Altern Complement Med. 2010 Feb;16(2):213-8. ↩
- Pinheiro I et al. A yeast fermentate improves gastrointestinal discomfort and constipation by modulation of the gut microbiome: results from a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled pilot trial. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017 Sep 4;17(1):441. ↩
- Moyad MA et al. Immunogenic yeast-based fermentation product reduces allergic rhinitis-induced nasal congestion: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Adv Ther. 2009 Aug;26(8):795-804. ↩
- Jensen GS et al. Antioxidant bioavailability and rapid immune-modulating effects after consumption of a single acute dose of a high-metabolite yeast immunogen: results of a placebo-controlled double-blinded crossover pilot study. J Med Food. 2011 Sep;14(9):1002-10. ↩