Human Researchze: 18pt;">MegaNatural® is a line of patented, high-quality grape seed extracts clinically proven to reduce elevated blood pressure.
Meganatural is a brand of grape seed extract. It is primarily used in cardiovascular health supplements, but also has other applications, such as antioxidant defense. This Meganatural review details its advantages over plain grape seed supplements:
- Patented. Meganatural is manufactured through a proprietary process and is the only grape seed extract patented to maintain healthy blood pressure.
- Clinically researched. Meganatural’s blood pressure and antioxidant benefits are backed by multiple clinical studies.
- Specialized. Meganatural offers multiple versions of grape seed extract designed for specific conditions, such as blood pressure or glucose control.
Meganatural is a patented brand of grape seed extracts made by American company Polyphenolics. Grape and wine consumption has long been associated with health benefits, and grape seed extracts are popular for supporting cardiovascular health and other concerns.
Made from California wine grapes, Meganatural stands out from generic grape seed extracts thanks to clinical research evidence. In addition, it is backed by multiple U.S. and worldwide patents protecting its manufacture and use for reducing blood pressure.
Meganatural comes in multiple specialized varieties:
- Meganatural BP, which is designed for heart & cardiovascular health uses
- Meganatural Gold, which has been demonstrated to have greater antioxidant activity than Vitamin C, E, and beta-carotene
- Meganatural GL, which is formulated for reducing blood glucose levels and currently undergoing research
- Meganatural GSKE, an extract made from grape pomace
- Meganatural Red Grape Juice Extract
As a supplement ingredient, Meganatural is usually used in its BP formulation, which can be added to cardiovascular supplements, pre-workout products, and other formulas.
In addition, polyphenols possess antioxidant, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can further aid cardiovascular and overall health. Finally, Meganatural grape extracts also contain other ingredients with multiple health benefits, such as anthocyanins.
- A unique production method for Meganatural BP, which includes a hot water extraction process instead of harsh solvents, and produces an extract with a low average molecular weight, which enhances its efficacy (U.S. patent 6,544,581)
- The use of Meganatural BP for lowering elevated blood pressure (U.S. patent 7,651,707)
Read more: Pre-Workout Supplements Guide
- Specialization: Meganatural is unique for offering multiple grape seed extract formulations meant for specific health concerns, such as blood pressure and antioxidant defense.
- Unique composition: Meganatural’s products have unique, standardized compositions that contain a guaranteed amount of bioactive polyphenols, anthocyanins, and other active ingredients.
- Clinical research: Meganatural’s blood pressure and antioxidant health benefits are backed by multiple human studies, most of which are high-quality randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials.
- Safety: Meganatural is Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) by the FDA and is produced through a mild method that uses water as the only solvent.
- Quality: Meganatural products are made from California-grown, non-GMO, sustainably-processed red and white grapes.
Meganatural Research>Human Research
Clinical studies report that Meganatural BP reduces blood pressure in individuals with pre-hypertension (elevated blood pressure).
This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study examined the benefits of Meganatural grape seed extract (GSE) on blood pressure. A total of 27 people with metabolic syndrome were given placebo or GSE at 150 mg or 300 mg daily for 4 weeks. Compared to placebo, the GSE groups experienced reductions in both systolic and diastolic blood pressure.
- The researchers concluded that “GSE could be used as a nutraceutical in a lifestyle modification program for patients with the metabolic syndrome.” 2
This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study examined the effects of Meganatural grape seed extract (GSE) on blood pressure in people with pre-hypertension. A total of 32 participants were given placebo or GSE (300 mg) daily for 8 weeks. Compared to placebo, the GSE group saw reductions of both systolic and diastolic blood pressure.
- The researchers concluded that “…GSE could be used as a nutraceutical in a lifestyle modification program for patients withpre-hypertension.” 3
This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study examined the effects of Meganatural grape seed extract (GSE) on blood pressure. A total of 36 people with pre-hypertension were given a placebo drink one with GSE (300 mg) daily for 6 weeks. Compared to placebo, the GSE group saw reductions of both systolic and diastolic blood pressure. Unlike placebo, the GSE drink group experienced a reduction in systolic (5.6%) and diastolic (4.7%) blood pressure. In addition, people with higher initial blood pressure had greater improvements.
- The researchers concluded that “GSE was found to be safe and to improve BP in people with pre-hypertension…” 4
This multi-part study evaluated the antioxidant potency of Meganatural Gold (MNG), a specialized antioxidant grape seed extract. Researchers compared this extract to grapes, grape juice, red wine, other grapeseed extracts, and other antioxidant compounds. MNG showed the highest antioxidant strength in both isolated cell culture tests and in nine study participants. A 600 mg dose of MNG was found to have equivalent antioxidant benefits to 300 ml of red wine and 1250 mg of vitamin C.
- The researchers concluded that “MegaNatural((R)) Gold had a superior quantity/quality antioxidant index compared with all other samples tested.” 5
Meganatural Dosageli>Successful clinical studies typically use 150-300 mg dosages of Meganatural BP
i>Meganatural® as part of a cardiovascular, pre-workout, or blood sugar formula.
Supplements in Review Recommendation
Meganatural is the most trusted, research-backed brand of grape seed extract. With multiple condition-specific formulations & patents, research evidence, and U.S.-based production, Meganatural is the highest quality line of grape seed extracts on the market.
Dosage depends on particular use. When used for blood pressure, Meganatural should be taken in dosages of 150-300 mg. For other uses, refer to your particular supplement.
- Indika EDIRISINGHE et al. Mechanism of the endothelium-dependen trelaxation evoked by a grape seed extract. Clinical Science (2008) 114, 331–337. ↩
- Sivaprakasapillai B et al. Effect of grape seed extract on blood pressure in subjects with the metabolic syndrome. Metabolism. 2009 Dec;58(12):1743-6. ↩
- M. Robinson, B. Lu et al. Effect of Grape Seed Extract on Blood Pressure in Subjects with Pre-Hypertension. Journal of Pharmacy and Nutrition Sciences,2012,2,155-15. ↩
- Park E et al. Effects of grape seed extract beverage on blood pressure and metabolic indices in individuals with pre-hypertension: a randomised, double-blinded, two-arm, parallel, placebo-controlled trial. Br J Nutr. 2016 Jan 28;115(2):226-38. ↩
- Vinson JA et al. MegaNatural((R)) Gold Grapeseed Extract: In Vitro Antioxidant and In Vivo Human Supplementation Studies. J Med Food. 2001 Spring;4(1):17-26. ↩