Known for its innovative technology and research-proven health benefits, MenaQ7® is the highest quality vitamin K2 available.
MenaQ7 is a patented form of vitamin K2. Vitamin K2 is increasingly being recognized as an important component of vitamin K’s health benefits, most notably in terms of bone and arterial health. This MenaQ7 review discusses its advantages over generic vitamin K2 supplements:
- Patented. The preparation, use in foods and supplements, and cardiovascular & other health benefits of MenaQ7 are protected by multiple US and worldwide patents.
- Clinically Researched. The bone and cardiovascular health benefits of MenaQ7 are supported by multiple high-quality clinical studies.
- Potent. MenaQ7 provides vitamin K2 in its more bioavailable MK-7 form, whereas most supplements use MK-4.
- Innovative. MenaQ7 is made by the only company in the world specializing in vitamin K2 research, and comes in four different varieties.
- Safe & Certified. MenaQ7 is known for its safety & quality, as demonstrated by multiple certifications, including GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) and ISO 22000 (food safety).
- MenaQ7 Patents
- MenaQ7 Nutritional Supplement Uses
- MenaQ7 Advantages
- MenaQ7 Research
- MenaQ7 Dosage
- Supplements in Review Recommendation
MenaQ7 is a patented brand of Vitamin K2 made by Norwegian company NattoPharma. Vitamin K is a group of fat-soluble vitamins that comes in two main types:
- Vitamin K1 (phylloquinone), which is mostly involved in blood clotting
- Vitamin K2 (menaquinone), which is mostly involved in bone health and preventing calcium deposits in blood vessels
Although both types are found in food, vitamin K2 is difficult get in sufficient amounts because its major source is fermented cheese. Furthermore, recent research suggests that current dietary recommendations for vitamin K may not be sufficient to support its functions outside blood coagulation – namely, bone and cardiovascular health.
Because of this, vitamin K2 supplements have recently grown in popularity. However, the problem is that the vast majority of supplements use the menaquinone-4 (MK-4) form of vitamin K2, which is synthetic and has a short half-life. Simply put, this means that MK-4 does not remain in the blood for very long, and as such is not very effective.
MenaQ7 solves this issue by offering vitamin K2 in its MK-7 form, which accumulates in the blood and remains for as long as 72 hours. This means that MenaQ7 is far more effective at raising the body’s vitamin K2 levels than MK-4, and can be taken less frequently and in smaller doses.
In addition to this, MenaQ7’s bone and cardiovascular health benefits are backed by high quality clinical trials. Finally, MenaQ7 comes in four allergen-free, vegetarian-friendly specialized varieties not found in other K2 supplements:
- MenaQ7 Natural MK-7, a fermented chickea protein, 96% pure form of K2
- MenaQ7 Natto MK-7, a 96% pure form of K2 made from fermented soybeans
- MenaQ7 PharmaPure MK-7, a form of K2 identical to that found in nature
- MenaQ7 Full Spectrum K2, the first and only ingredient that includes all four of vitamin K2’s natural variations (isomers) – MK-6, 7, 8, and 9.
How does MenaQ7 Work?
Vitamin K2 activates a group of vitamin K-dependant proteins, the most notable of which are osteocalcin and matrix GLA. Osteocalcin supports bone formation through calcium utilization and bone mineralization, whereas matrix GLA helps prevent the calcification of blood vessels and arteries, which is involved in cardiovascular disorders such as atherosclerosis and stroke.
Norway’s NattoPharma is the world leader in developing vitamin K2, and currently holds numerous active and pending patents for the production, formulation, use, and health benefits of MenaQ7.
This patent describes the highly technical, complex preparation method used to make MK-7 type of vitamin K2 (US Patent 9828323B2).
MenaQ7 plus marine oil
This patent protects the use of MenaQ7 in combination with a marine oil – typically fish oil or krill oil – in supplements aimed at supporting cardiovascular, bone, or cartilage health (US Patent 20100048704A1).
MenaQ7 in food products & supplements
This patent describes the addition of MenaQ7 to food products, such as yogurt, ice cream, meal replacements, sauces, dressings, snacks, and beverages. (US Patent 20020015762A1).
MenaQ7 for improving cardiovascular health
This patent describes the use of MenaQ7 for supporting cardiovascular health. As demonstrated by clinical research, MenaQ7 combats age-related arterial stiffness – a risk factor for a wide range of cardiovascular conditions including hypertension, stroke, and atherosclerosis – by reducing or reversing blood vessel calcification (US Patent 20050261257A1 & WO Patent 2014191466A1).
MenaQ7 for weight loss
This patent describes the use of MenaQ7 for combating obesity, supporting fat loss and maintaining a healthy body weight, particularly in the context of dieting (US patent 20130267606A1). According to the patent, high vitamin K status or high intake may be associated with a decreased tendency to gain fat and overall body weight, although the exact mechanism behind this benefit is not currently known.
MenaQ7 Nutritional Supplement Uses
MenaQ7 is found in a wide range of standalone and multi-ingredient supplements.
Cardiovascular Health Supplements
Vitamin K2 is widely recognized for playing an important role in cardiovascular health by combating the calcification of blood vessels, which is a contributing factor to a wide range of cardiovascular health disorders. As such, MenaQ7 is commonly incorporated into supplements aimed at supporting heart, artery, blood vessel, and overall cardiovascular health.
Bone & Joint Health Supplements
Vitamin K2’s second major role in the body is to support bone formation – a lifelong process that keeps the bones healthy & strong. Because of this, it is frequently used to prevent osteoporosis (bone loss) and support caoverall bone health. Bone health formulas typically combine MenaQ7 with vitamin D3, as these two compounds work together to increase calcium absorption & utilization and bone mineralization.
Read more: Joint health supplements
With the recent discovery of the importance of vitamin K2, it’s not surprising that many multivitamin manufacturers are choosing to add it to their products. MenaQ7 is particularly popular in specialized multivitamin products, such as those designed for older women (who are at increased risk of bone & cardiovascular health issues).
Read more: Multivitamin Supplements
MenaQ7 is the highest quality, most trusted form of vitamin K2 in the market. It’s key advantages over generic vitamin K2 ingredients include:
- Potency: MenaQ7’s MK-7 form has been proven to be far more effective at increasing blood vitamin K2 levels than the MK-4 form used by most generic products.
- Clinical research: MenaQ7’s ability to improve vitamin K levels in the bones and blood vessels and associated bone and arterial health benefits are backed by multiple randomized, controlled trials (RCTs) – the gold standard of human research.
- Innovation: NattoPharma is the only company in the world specializing in research & development of vitamin K2 supplements, and currently offers four different variations of this essential nutrient.
- Safety & Certifications: MenaQ7 holds the current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) and Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) FDA certifications, as well as ISO 22000 food safety, NON GMO, novel food, kosher, and halal certifications.
- Natural form. All MenaQ7 products are in the trans-isomer rather than cis configuration of vitamin K2 – the biologically active form identical to how it is present in nature.
Clinical studies of MenaQ7 supplementation demonstrate improved vitamin K status in bones and blood vessels, and associated bone and cardiovascular health benefits.
This double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study examined the benefits of MenaQ7 on bone health. A total of 244 postmenopausal women were given placebo or MenaQ7 (180 mcg MK-7) capsules daily for 3 years. MK-7 supplementation improved vitamin K levels and bone strength, while simultaneously decreasing vertebral height loss and the age-related reduction in bone mineral density and bone mineral content.
- The researchers concluded that “MK-7 supplements may help postmenopausal women to prevent bone loss.” 2
This double-blind, randomized study explored the effects of MenaQ7 on cardiovascular health in women. A total of 244 postmenopausal women were given placebo or MenaQ7 (180 mcg MK-7) capsules daily for 3 years. The researchers then measured changes in arterial stiffness, which is tied to increased risk of cardiovascular disorders.
MK-7 supplementation was found to improve various measures of arterial stiffness, including a reduction in the Stiffness Index β, and improvement of compliance, distensibility, Young’s Modulus, and the local carotid pulse wave velocity (PWV). Improvements were particularly notable in women who had high arterial stiffness at the beginning of the study.
- The researchers concluded that “long-term use of MK-7 supplements improves arterial stiffness in healthy postmenopausal women, especially in women having a high arterial stiffness.” 3
This study compared the bioavailability of the two main forms of vitamin K2 – MK-4 and MK-7. Ten women were given MK-4 (420 mcg; 945 nmol) or MK-7 (420 mcg; 647 nmol) together with food. It was discovered that MK-7 was absorbed well and remained detectable in the blood for up to 2 days, whereas MK-4 was not detectable at any point. In addition, 7 day supplementation with MK-4 (60 mcg; 135 nmol) or MK-7 (60 mcg; 92 nmol) successfully increased blood MK-7, but not MK-4 levels.
- The researchers concluded that “We conclude that MK-4 present in food does not contribute to the vitamin K status as measured by serum vitamin K levels. MK-7, however significantly increases serum MK-7 levels and therefore may be of particular importance for extrahepatic tissues.” 4
This study explored extrahepatic (outside the liver) vitamin K status in healthy individuals and the effects of MK-7 (as MenaQ7) supplementation. The researchers measured markers of extrahepatic vitamin K status in 896 healthy individuals and identified 42 children and 68 adults with tissue-specific (bone and blood vessels) vitamin K deficiency.
The children were then supplemented with MK-7 (45 mcg) or placebo daily for 8 weeks, while the adults were given MK-7 (90 mcg) daily for 7 weeks. In both cases, MK-7 supplementation increased vitamin K status in the bones and vasculature (blood vessels), with particularly notable improvements in individuals with more pronounced vitamin K deficiency.
- The researchers concluded that “Children and adults above 40 years showed the largest tissue-specific vitamin deficiency and accordingly may benefit from MK-7 supplementation to improve their extra-hepatic vitamin K status.” 5
This double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study evaluated the effects of MenaQ7 supplementation on extrahepatic (bone and arterial wall) vitamin K levels. A total of 42 participants were given placebo or one of six daily MK-7 doses (10, 20, 45, 90, 180 or 360 mcg) for 12 weeks. The higher doses (90-360 mcg) successfully increased extrahepatic vitamin K status.
- The researchers concluded that “MK-7 supplementation at doses in the order of the RDA (Commission Directive 2008/100/EC) increased the carboxylation of circulating OC and MGP.” 6
This double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study evaluated the effects of MK-7 (MenaQ7) supplementation on bone health in children. A total of 55 healthy children were given MK-7 (45 mcg) or placebo daily for 8 weeks. Supplementation improved markers of vitamin K status in bones and osteocalcin carboxylation.
- The researchers concluded that “…in healthy, prepubertal children, modest supplementation with MK-7 increases circulating concentrations of MK-7 and increases osteocalcin carboxylation.” 7
- Positive clinical research typically uses MenaQ7 in 45 mcg, 90 mcg and 180 mcg dosages
- MenaQ7 as a standalone supplement is usually found in 100-180 mcg dosages
- In multi-ingredient supplements, MenaQ7 is typically provided in 45-90 mcg dosages
Supplements in Review Recommendation
- MenaQ7®, 45-180 mcg MK-7.
We highly recommend MenaQ7 as a vitamin K2 supplement, especially for children and older adults. High quality human research demonstrates that MenaQ7 increased vitamin K levels in bone and blood vessel tissue, and provides associated bone & cardiovascular health benefits. Combined with its high quality and superior bioavailability, this makes MenaQ7 the best vitamin K2 on the supplement market.
Human studies support 45-180 mcg dosages. Research studies most commonly use 45, 90, and 180 mcg doses of MenaQ7. The exact dosage will depend on your particular needs; for example, children typically need smaller doses (45 mcg) than adults, whereas individuals at risk of bone and cardiovascular health issues would benefit more from high (180 mcg) doses.
- Knapen MH et al. Steady-state vitamin K2 (menaquinone-7) plasma concentrations after intake of dairy products and soft gel capsules. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2016 Jul;70(7):831-6. ↩
- Knapen MH et al. Three-year low-dose menaquinone-7 supplementation helps decrease bone loss in healthy postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int. 2013 Sep;24(9):2499-507. ↩
- Knapen MH et al. Menaquinone-7 supplementation improves arterial stiffness in healthy postmenopausal women. A double-blind randomised clinical trial. Thromb Haemost. 2015 May;113(5):1135-44. ↩
- Sato T et al. Comparison of menaquinone-4 and menaquinone-7 bioavailability in healthy women. Nutr J. 2012 Nov 12;11:93. doi: 10.1186/1475-2891-11-93. ↩
- Theuwissen E et al. Vitamin K status in healthy volunteers. Food Funct. 2014 Feb;5(2):229-34. ↩
- Theuwissen E et al. Low-dose menaquinone-7 supplementation improved extra-hepatic vitamin K status, but had no effect on thrombin generation in healthy subjects. Br J Nutr. 2012 Nov 14;108(9):1652-7. ↩
- van Summeren MJ et al. The effect of menaquinone-7 (vitamin K2) supplementation on osteocalcin carboxylation in healthy prepubertal children. Br J Nutr. 2009 Oct;102(8):1171-8. ↩