NEM® is the only eggshell membrane supplement backed by clinical studies on joint health.
- Patented. NEM is patented as an anti-inflammatory ingredient, particularly for the alleviation of arthritis.
- Clinically Researched. Unlike standard eggshell membrane, NEM’s joint benefits are proven by human studies.
Natural Eggshell Membrane (NEM) is a branded form of eggshell membrane – the clear, film-like layer found on the inside of chicken eggshells. Eggshell membrane has quickly grown in popularity as a supplement thanks to containing four compounds beneficial to joint health:
- Collagen, the most abundant connective tissue protein in the body
- Glucosamine sulfate, a compound present in the fluid surrounding the joints
- Chondroitin, a component of joint cartilage
- Hyaluronic acid, which is necessary for the proper cushioning of synovial joints
NEM is the only eggshell membrane product backed by human studies, which show that it can improve joint function and alleviate arthritis. As such, it is used as both a standalone product and a component of multi-ingredient joint supplements.
NEM Eggshell Membrane Patents
NEM Eggshell Membrane Anti-Inflammatory Effects
NEM is backed by a patent supporting its use for reducing inflammation and pain associated with arthritis and other inflammatory disorders. Under this patent, NEM’s efficacy is supported by reduced levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines such as IL-1α, IL-1β, and TNFα (US patent 8580315).
The preparation of NEM is also patented, and includes a non-harsh extraction process where steam is used to separate the membrane from eggshells, after which it is processed into a powder (US patent 017277).
How NEM Eggshell Membrane is Used in Supplements
Joint Health Supplements
NEM is typically sold by itself or incorporated into multi-ingredient joint health formulas to be used as a source of four compounds shown to be beneficial to joint health: collagen, glucosamine, chondroitin, and hyaluronic acid. More on NEM eggshell membrane and joint health.
NEM Eggshell Membrane Brand Advantages
NEM eggshell membrane has three advantages over plain eggshell products:
- Research evidence: NEM is the only eggshell membrane product backed by peer-reviewed clinical studies
- Safety: NEM’s safety is proven by research and it is Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) by the FDA
- Domestic production: NEM is produced in the United States
NEM Eggshell Membrane Research
Clinical trials of eggshell membrane supplementation report improvements in joint pain and stiffness.
This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study examined the effects of NEM on knee osteoarthritis. A total of 67 people were given placebo or NEM capsules (500 mg) daily for 8 weeks. The NEM group experienced improvements in joint pain and stiffness as early as 10 days into the treatment.
- The researchers concluded that “Supplementation with NEM®, 500 mg taken once daily, significantly reduced both joint pain and stiffness compared to placebo.”1
In order to determine the effectiveness of NEM in the treatment of inflexibility and pain stemming from connective tissue and joint disorders, two clinical trials were conducted. Both trials (11 subjects in the first and 28 in the second) used a dosage of 500 mg NEM daily for 4 weeks. NEM produced significant reductions in pain in both trials.
- The researchers concluded that NEM “is a possible new effective and safe therapeutic option for the treatment of pain and inflexibility associated with joint and connective tissue (JCT) disorders.”2
This clinical trial examined the effects of NEM supplementation on joint pain. For eight weeks, 44 subjects experiencing osteoarthritis in the hip and/or knee took 500 mg of NEM daily. At the 30 and 60 day mark, pain was measured using a questionnaire. The results revealed that pain was reduced at both of these time periods.
- The researchers concluded that NEM “is a safe and effective therapeutic option for the treatment of pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee and/or hip.”3
NEM Eggshell Membrane Dosage
- Single-ingredient NEM supplements typically come in dosages of 500 mg
- In multi-ingredient supplements (typically with glucosamine), dosage is slightly lower at 250 mg
- Clinical trials of NEM eggshell membrane on joint health used 500 mg daily doses
Supplements in Review Recommendation
- NEM Eggshell Membrane®, 500 mg.
NEM eggshell membrane is the research-backed option for supporting joint health. NEM is the only eggshell membrane product whose safety and effectiveness is proven by clinical research, making it the obvious choice over non-patented options.
500 mg is the research-backed dose. All current studies of NEM for joint health successfully utilized daily doses of 500 mg.
- Ruff KJ et al. Eggshell membrane in the treatment of pain and stiffness from osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized, multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical study. Clin Rheumatol. 2009 Aug;28(8):907-14 ↩
- Ruff KJ et al. Eggshell membrane: A possible new natural therapeutic for joint and connective tissue disorders. Results from two open-label human clinical studies. Clinical Interventions in Aging. 2009; 4: 235–240 ↩
- Danesch et al. NEM® Brand Eggshell Membrane Effective in the Treatment of Pain Associated with Knee and Hip Osteoarthritis: Results from a Six Center, Open Label German Clinical Study. Journal of Arthritis. 2014;3:3 ↩
- Ruff KJ et al. Effectiveness of NEM® brand eggshell membrane in the treatment of suboptimal joint function in dogs: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Veterinary Medicine: Research and Reports. 18 August 2016 Volume 2016:7 Pages 113—121. ↩