Human Researchze: 18pt;">Bacognize® is a clinically-effective extract that concentrates bacopa’s most active ingredients to deliver superior effects.
- Unique formula. Bacognize is unique for concentrating the most active compounds from bacopa, called serotonin-active bacopa glycosides (SABGs).
- Clinically Researched. Clinical studies back the extract’s nootropic benefits in both healthy adults and those suffering from Alzheimer’s.
- Standardized. Bacognize is standardized to 45% bacosides in naturally-occurring ratios to ensure efficacy.
Bacognize is a proprietary extract of Bacopa monnieri, a herb that’s been used by India’s Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years. Also known as brahmi and waterhyssop, bacopa is widely recognized for its memory-enhancing, anti-inflammatory, pain-reducing, and sedative effects. Today, it is mostly used as a nootropic, particularly by individuals with memory difficulties.
Bacognize is made by Verdure Sciences, an American company known for high-quality herbal ingredients. Like most bacopa extracts, Bacognize is standardized, and contains 45% bio-active bacosides (a type of glycoside). What makes it unique, however, is the fact that these bacosides are present in natural ratios, maintaining the same “fingerprint” as the bacopa plant.
Furthermore, Bacognize is unique for concentrating serotonin-active bacopa glycosides (SABGs) – the types of glycosides that have the strongest activity and are responsible for the bulk of bacopa’s cognitive effects.
In addition, Bacognize is backed by clinical studies showing enhancement of memory, attention, mood, and other aspects of cognition in both young and older adults, as well as improved brain function in Alzheimer’s patients.<
How does Bacognize work?
Bacopa contains active ingredients called bacosides (type of glycoside). More importantly, Bacognize is standardized specifically to the most active types of glycosides called serotonin-active bacopa glycosides (SABGs). These natural compounds work through:
- Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects that protect the brain
- Interacting with serotonin (5HT) receptors, a neurotransmitter known to play a role in mood other cognitive processes
Bacognize Nutritional Supplement Uses<
Bacognize is most commonly used as a standalone nootropic supplement to enhance memory, attention, mood, and stress. It is particularly popular among students looking to improve their studying ability, and older adults who want to sharpen their cognitive function and stave off Alzheimer’s and other forms of cognitive impairment. These nootropic benefits of Bacognize are backed by clinical research.
Bacognize stands out from generic Bacopa monnieri extracts in several ways:
- Standardization: The extract is standardized to provide exactly 45% bacopa glycosides to ensure efficacy.
- Unique formula: Bacognize is unique for being standardized to so-called serotonin-active bacopa glycosides (SABGs) – the compounds in bacopa with the strongest serotonin activity, and therefore the strongest cognitive effects.
- Clinical research: Bacognize’s memory, mood, attention, and other brain benefits are backed by multiple human studies, some of which are randomized, controlled trials (RCTs) – the gold standard of human research.
Bacognize Research3>Human Research
Human studies report that Bacognize improves measures of memory, attention, mood, and other aspects of brain function in both young and older adults. In addition, it also improves memory and overall cognition in people suffering from Alzheimer’s.
This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study examined the nootropic effects of Bacognize in healthy adults. Sixty medical students took placebo or Bacopa extract (150 mg) twice daily for 6 weeks, and had their cognitive function tested before and after supplementation. The Bacopa group improved on tests of attention, distractability, memory, and language comprehension.
- The researchers concluded that “Statistically significant improvement was seen in the tests relating to the cognitive functions with use of Bacopa monnieri.” 1
This randomized, placebo-controlled trial evaluated the cognitive effects of Bacognize. A total of 20 healthy older adults (age 60-75) were given Bacopa extract (300 mg) or placebo capsules daily for 12 weeks, and had their cognitive function tested before and after supplementation. The Bacopa group experienced improvements in tests of short-term memory, processing speed, attention, and depression. In addition, these effect lasted 4 weeks after the supplementation was stopped.
- The researchers concluded that “The characterized Bacopa extract showed significant improvement (p<0.05) over baseline in short-term memory, processing speed, attention and depression, an effect which was also observed at 16 weeks, four weeks after dosing stopped.” 2
This study tested the efficacy of Bacognize in Alzheimer’s patients. A total of 39 patients (average age of 65) were given Bacopa extract (300 mg) twice a day for 6 months. At the end of the study, they showed improvements in various measures of cognitive impairment (MMSE questionnaire), including orientation of time, place & person, attention, and reading, writing & comprehension.
- The researchers concluded that “…the above results are encouraging given the improvement in cognitive functions in geriatric Alzheimer’s disease patients…” 3
Supplements in Review Recommendation
Suntheanine is the most trusted, research-backed brand of L-theanine. Suntheanine has been used and studied for over 20 years, confirming that it is the highest quality L-theanine ingredient available.
Research suggests 300-600 mg dosages. Clinical trials suggest that 300 mg Bacognize dosages are ideal for cognitive benefits, and can be increased to 600 mg for older adults looking to ward off Alzheimer’s.
- Kumar N et al. Efficacy of Standardized Extract of Bacopa monnieri (Bacognize®) on Cognitive Functions of Medical Students: A Six-Week, Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2016;2016:4103423. ↩
- L Hingorani et al. Sustained cognitive effects and safety of HPLC-standardized Bacopa Monnieri extract: A randomized, placebo controlled clinical trial. Planta Med 2012; 78 – PH22. ↩
- Goswami S et al. Effect of Bacopa monnieri on Cognitive functions in Alzheimer’s disease patients. International Journal of Collaborative Research on Internal Medicine & Public Health, 2011 – Vol. 3 No. 4 ↩