Meriva is a patented, well-researched curcumin supplement that features enhanced bioavailability.
Meriva is a unique curcumin supplement, complexed with soy lecithin to boost absorption and enhance its natural inflammation-modulating activity. This review discusses Meriva’s advantages over other curcumin dietary supplements:
- Patented. Meriva is patented for using phospholipid complexes of curcumin to enhance bioavailability, recorded under US patent no 20090131373.
- Enhanced absorption. Curcumin is difficult to absorb. Meriva uses proprietary Phytosome® technology to ensure curcuminoids enter the bloodstream with ease.
- Backed by 29 clinical trials. Several human research studies have backed Meriva’s effectiveness, safety and tolerability.
Meriva is a Indena’s branded, patented curcumin formulation, featuring food grade letchin. Indena is a company that specializes identifying, developing and producing key plant ingredients for supplements and personal care.
- Curcumin is the key ingredient in turmeric, a plant from the ginger family and a primary curry ingredient.
Curcumin boasts inflammation-modulating properties that can benefit many body systems. Turmeric’s curcuminoids are also potent antioxidants that combine to help neutralize cell-damaging, age-accelerating free radicals. Because of these bioactivities, turmeric is among herbalism’s all-time most important supplements.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) are sometimes associated with side effects, including stomach irritation. In addition, excessive NSAID intake may be linked to health risks for the liver, kidneys, cardiovascular system and GI tract.
Turmeric (curcumin) is regarded as a natural inflammation-modulating herb that can assist with various aches and pains without the health risks that may be associated with NSAIDs.
However, plain turmeric presents its own challenges that may limit its effectiveness:
- Turmeric’s curcuminoids are difficult to absorb;
- Dried turmeric root only supplies about 2%-5% active curcumin;
- In order to gain inflammation-modulating benefits, one must consume a large amount of turmeric, which, combined with its absorption challenges, may lead to unpleasant digestive side effects
Meriva uses Indena’s proprietary Phytosome® technology to enhance curcumin’s bioavailability.
Meriva’s formulation includes curcumin and letchin — a fat that is essential in the body and a good source of choline which helps to dissolve cholesterol and fat, as well as regulating the liver, gallbladder and kidney. Meriva is an important patented ingredient because its inflammation-modulating activity translates into versatile, far-ranging health support.
Meriva’s Phytosome® Technology
Indena’s Phytosome technology boosts Meriva’s curcumin bioavailability. Curcumin is naturally sparingly soluble in water or oil. However, when curcuminoids are bound with soy lecithin lipids, they become easier for the body to recognize and absorb. As a result, more curcuminoids reach the bloodstream.
Phytosome® technology appears to yield significant curcumin absorption improvements:
- 30X improvement in turmeric curcuminoid bioavailability;
- 50x improvement in demethoxycurcumin absorption, which is a key health-promoting curcuminoid
By enhancing curcumin absorption, bioavailability and tolerability, Meriva may help to optimize this root herb’s inflammation-modulating activity — thereby amplifying its diverse overall health benefits.
Meriva has a patent (US patent 20090131373) for using phospholipid complexes of curcumin to improve bioavailability.
The patented formula features a compound of phospholipid complexes of curcumin or extracts containing it, soy phospholipids, and where the phospholipids are obtained from phosphatidylcholine, phosphatidyl ethanolamine and phosphatidylserine. The phospholipid to curcumin ratio is in the range from 10 to 1.
Meriva Nutritional Supplement Uses
Curcumin has many health benefits so its used in an array of dietary supplements. As the active ingredient of turmeric, curcumin is ideal for brain health, joints and inflammation. Around 2-5% of curcumin is normally found in the root of turmeric, which is why supplementing with this ingredient is popular.
- Meriva is used to boost curcumin metabolite levels rather than overall levels of curcumin. Curcumin metabolites specifically help in alleviating inflammation.
Therefore, consuming Meriva is ideal for people with inflammatory issues, such as joint aches, skin problems, bowel problems and various aches and discomfort. Furthermore, it has been used for “detox” and liver support. Meriva may be found in:
Joint Health Supplements
Meriva is a popular supplement for joint health and alleviating joint pain. It can also be combined with calcium and ginger for optimal joint and bone health. It is also backed by research, including improvements in osteoarthritis patients. Additionally, research conducted on subjects with knee and wrist joint problems has yielded beneficial results when consuming Meriva supplements. More on joint supplements
This branded turmeric is also used in post workout supplements to reduce muscle and joint aches after workouts and improve recovery time after strenuous exercise. Research has demonstrated that curcumin reduces inflammation related to exercise induced muscle damage. Furthermore, research has backed it for helping to decrease muscle fatigue associated with extreme physical activity. More on Post-Workout Supplements
Nootropic Brain Supplements
While it is not necessarily a brainpower-boosting nootropic, turmeric has a strong association with brain health. This may be because many degenerative cognitive concerns are linked to brain inflammation, which may be effectively addressed with an enhanced-absorption curcumin supplement. More on Nootropic Brain Supplements
Meriva General Wellness Supplements
Indena has started positioning Meriva for eye health, suggesting additional health applications. Turmeric is also traditionally used for cardiovascular health, organ health, anti-aging and more. In addition to its presence in some stack supplements, this branded ingredient is available as a standalone, single-ingredient supplement.
Due to the far-ranging, whole-body wellness support of curcumin’s inflammation-modulating activity, Indena is now positioning Meriva as The Life Guardian™.
Meriva Benefits and Brand Advantages
Meriva offers many benefits for consumers and supplement manufacturers:
- Highly effective: Uses Indena’s patented Phytosome technology to improve curcumin bioavailability and optimize its nutritional support.
- Contributes to good joint health: Modulates inflammation, supports joint health and reduces joint discomfort, potentially offering a safer, gentler therapy than NSAIDs.
- Contributes to post workout recovery: Helps reduce muscle soreness after intense physical exercise.
- No known side effects: No known side effects, and has been shown to be safe and easy on the stomach in multiple human clinical trials.
- Well-researched: Effects and benefits investigated and validated in several research studies.
- Endorsed: Idependently endorsed by Cleveland Clinic as their preferred curcumin formula.
In this study, 50 subjects suffering with osteoarthritis were evaluated to discover the efficacy of Meriva. The symptoms of the subjects were assessed by the WOMAC score – mobility was evaluated by walking performance on the treadmill while inflammatory response was assessed by C-reactive protein (CRP) measurements. Subjects were randomly split into two groups and assessed over a 3 month period. One group received 1g/day Meriva (over 2 administrations) and the best alternative treatment as defined by the individual subjects specialist. The results revealed a decrease in management costs for the group consuming Meriva by 49% as well as a 201% improvement on the initial walked treadmill performance after two months.
- The researchers concluded that “Meriva® is clinically effective in the management and treatment of osteoarthritis and suggest that the increased stability and better absorption of curcumin induced by complexation with phospholipids have clinical relevance.”1
This 8 month study investigated bone health maintenance. 100 subjects with osteoarthritis were studied – split randomly into two separate groups. One group was given Meriva (1g per day). The results revealed a significant reduction in all clinical endpoints for the supplement group.
- The researchers concluded that “Significant improvements of both the clinical and biochemical end points were observed for Meriva compared to the control group. This, coupled with an excellent tolerability, suggests that Meriva is worth considering for the long-term complementary management of osteoarthritis.”2
Meriva post-workout research
In this randmoized, placebo-controlled study, 20 healthy subjects were administered 1g of Meriva or a placebo twice per day, 48 hours before a downhill running test, on the day of the test itself, and 24 hours after the test, for a 4 day treatment. The evaluation of delayed onset of muscle soreness was the end point. Muscle soreness was quantified by laboratory tests, histologic analyses and magnetic resonance imaging, as well as an evaluation of intensity of discomfort. The results of the study revealed that this enhanced curcumin can benefit the delayed onset of muscle soreness caused by exercise.
- The researchers stated that “Curcumin has the potential for preventing DOMS, as suggested by its effects on pain intensity and muscle injury. Larger studies are needed to confirm these results and further clarify the mechanism of action of curcumin.”3
- There appears to be no manufacturer recommended daily dose. However, a clinical study has demonstrated that it can be safely consumed at a daily dose of 1.2g per day for 18 months with no side effects or discomfort occurring.
Meriva Side Effects
Research has not revealed any significant side effects. If anything, research appears to strengthen this branded ingredient’s reputation as being a safe, well-tolerated curcumin supplement.
Supplements in Review Recommendation
- Meriva should be consumed at a 500 mg dose, twice daily for osteoarthritis, joint health or muscle recovery.
Meriva is a research backed curcumin supplement shown to help regulate inflammatory responses. Its unique patented formula alongside Indena’s patented Phytosome technology presents a form of curcumin that is highly bioavailable and easily absorbed by the body to aid joint health.
While Indena presents no recommended dosage for consumption, generally 500 mg, administered twice daily is suggested for joint health. However, research has shown consuming up to 1.2 g daily is safe.
- Belcaro G, et al. Product evaluation registry of Meriva®, a curcumin-phosphatidylcholine complex, for the complementary management of osteoarthritis. Paniminerva Medica, 2010 52(2 Suppl 1): 55-62. ↩
- Belcaro G, et al. Efficacy and safety of Meriva®, a curcumin-phosphatidylcholine complex, during extended administration in osteoarthritis patients. Altern Med Rev, 2010 15(4): 337-44. ↩
- Franchek D, et al. Reduction of delayed onset muscle soreness by a novel curcumin delivery system (Meriva®): a randomised, placebo-controlled trial.
J Int Soc Sports Nutr, 2014; 11:31 ↩